That plastic tub of frozen whipped cream you buy at the store is easy to make at home. It is really just what is called stabilized whip cream. You can make it and use it right away, keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze it. It does not deflate which is what will happen if you just whip, whipping cream. There are many uses for stabilized whip cream. It is used in the making of many dessert recipes and is able to piped for the topping of cupcakes, frosting cakes or when you need to transport whipped cream from one place to another.
- 1tsp gelatin (unflavored) I use Knox
- 1 tbs cold water
- 1 cup of cold heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbs of confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or get creative and use other extract flavors
- Optional gel food coloring to make it the color you desire.
- If it is warm in your home, put your bowl and beaters in the fridge or freezer for 10 minutes before hand. Gather all your ingredients.
- Put the unflavored gelatin in a microwave safe bowl . Add the Tbs of cold water and let stand for 5 minutes. It will be very thick.
- Put the thickened gelatin in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds, long enough for it to return to a liquid. Check it at 5 seconds, then every few seconds after until it is liquid.
- Pour you heavy whipping cream into your cold bowl. Beat with the cold beaters on HIGH until it begins to thicken, then add your confectioners sugar. Add your extract and continue beating until thick. Do not beat to the point of soft peak forming.
- Do not stop beating add the liquid gelatin in a slow thin stream. If your gelatin has thickened put in the microwave for a few seconds. If you do need to reheat your gelatin, or if your gelatin is hot, add a small spoonful of your whipped cream to it, to bring it to temperature. (Think of when you make custard and do not want scrambled eggs.) Then using a steady thin stream add all of it your whipped cream.
- Continue beating until soft or stiff peaks form whichever is your desire.
FREEZE IT: You can store in single size portions, by piping or spooning on wax paper and freezing then put them in a container and in your freezer. Or just place in a container like the one you purchase in the freezer section at the grocery store.
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover and keep in the fridge for 4 days.